Sunday 7 August 2016

#Nomakeup



Make-up is marketed to be associated with what women consider positive; confidence, self-esteem, professionalism, beauty, sexiness, expression an art form. Women have internalized these concepts and use these as a basis for their love and use of make-up.

But, when I look beyond the surface of this ‘positivity’ I see something that is quite dangerous.

I apply concealer over: the dark circles under my eyes, my eyes bags, the discolouration, the scarring and the blemishes on my skin, because they all need to be hidden. I apply foundation because the skin tone of my face must look even. Blusher must sit correctly on the high points of my cheeks because only a fake wash of colour will beautify me. I thicken my eyelashes with a few coats of mascara. But this is not good enough, I add fake eyelashes for more definition. My eyes need to look bigger, so I use liquid liner to create a winged eye look. I cannot miss the most crucial step: contour and highlight. Using a dark shade to manipulate what I should look like. I create a slimmer nose, sharper cheekbones and jawline. I apply a shinier product on specific points because when the natural light hits my face I must also glow. I apply lip liner drawing fuller and thicker lips. I fill in this illusion with a glossy red lipstick. Finally, I use a setting spray to keep this mask in place.

The amount of make-up products that are now available for a particular function and part of the face is jaw dropping. Each product is telling women that there is something wrong with what she naturally has and that this ‘insert product’ will transform her into what she should look like. Eye bags, dark circles, blemishes, discolouration, scarring, and facial features are some of the things that specific makeup products and campaigns target, creating and highlighting insecurities within women.

Through its illusion of enhancement makeup takes away the authenticity and difference that exist within women around the world. We are not in need of makeup to filter this. So, why should an image created by make-up be a benchmark of what a women should look like? If a woman does not wear make-up she is not any less: professional, presentable, beautiful, sexy, attractive, smart or free.


So, what is make-up? 
Oppression or liberation?


Liked what you read?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Liked what you read?
© A Million Thoughts A Minute . All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig